Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The End of the Prodigy

The New Republic

    The story continues when Kaede flies the jet through a train tunnel in the great Armor wall and the trio crash in Denver, though Kaede does not survive the gunfire that follows. It is obvious that something is amok, and they realize that the Elector is losing control while the Senate sits back and lets the Republic fall as the public revolt.    Day climbs to the top of the Capitol building (the same building Anden is in) and wins over the Republic by telling them he supports the new Elector.
    In the aftermath, most of the Senate is arrested, and the military is shaken by the removal and arrest of many high-ranking officials. Day is reunited with his younger brother Eden, but he is also informed by a doctor that the experiments done by the Republic when he was younger have left him with an illness that will imminently kill him.
     June is asked by the Elector to become his Princeps, the leader of the Senate and his second in command. She wishes to deny as she would never see Day, but Day informs her that she should take the position, and that a relationship between them would be impossible, leaving out the truth that he is dying. June is confused and upset, but Day doesn't want her to have to deal with the pain of his death. He kisses an agonized June before he leaves.

"I don't want to see the Republic collapse. I want to see it change."(Lu 346)

Day admits that he has changed his mind and supports June's decision of change. I think Day will love June no matter what, no matter what separates them. Even though they part ways, I think they will find a way back to each other. 

"He is beauty, inside and out. He is the silver lining in a world of darkness. He is my light." (Lu 371)

As I said before, June and Day are like glue and are always with each other. Even though June has to let him go, she knows that she loves him in every single way. This is a very sentimental ending and I don't think Marie Lu will keep them apart for long. 


CONCLUSION

   I can't help but admit that I did cry a little and felt sentimental at the end of the novel. So much has happened and so much is yet to happen. I feel awful that June and Day have to go on their own but I hope that they will reunite. Day is such an important character, I don't think Lu will kill him. Guess I'll have to read Champion to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment